Judicial Service Commission Media Announcement: Judicial Vacancies
The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) invites nominations to fill vacancies as Judges in the following courts:
- Electoral Court (Two vacancies) (One vacancy is for the Chairperson of the court who must be a Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeal, while the second vacancy should be filled by a South African citizen who is in the legal profession.)
- Free State Division of the High Court (One vacancy – Judge President)
- Gauteng Division of the High Court (Five vacancies)
Nominations must be accompanied by the candidate’s written consent, detailed curriculum vitae disclosing the candidate’s formal qualifications for appointment, the standard questionnaire completed and signed by the candidate, as well as copies of at least three written judgments by the candidate. The standard questionnaire to be completed by all nominees is available on the South Africa Judiciary website: www.judiciary.org.za alternatively on the Constitutional Court website: www.constitutionalcourt.co.za
The JSC reserves the right to recommend a candidate for the filling of any vacancy which may exist at the time of the interviews. This is to avoid the situation which has arisen in the past when, despite the availability of suitable candidates, no appointments could be made to fill vacancies which had occurred subsequent to the notice calling for nominations. Consequently, in making nominations, regard should be had to the possibility that more judicial vacancies may occur than have been advertised.
The Secretariat wishes to emphasise the following points:
- Interviews with short-listed candidates will be conducted in public, i.e. members of the public and the media (both electronic and print) will be entitled to be present.
- It is open to persons or bodies nominating candidates to motivate their nominations by referring the JSC to the candidate’s qualifications and general fitness for appointment.
- The questionnaire must be accompanied by the standardised “clearance certificate” which the candidate is required to obtain from his/her professional body regarding the candidate’s professional status within that body, his or her suitability for appointment to the Bench and the nature of any disciplinary proceedings completed or pending in respect of the relevant candidate.
- Nominations must be addressed to and reach the Secretariat of the JSC by no later than Friday, 06 July 2017.
Interviews will take place during the week of 01 – 05 October 2018 in the Office of the Chief Justice in Midrand.
Applications must be addressed to:
The Secretariat of the JSC
Office of the Chief Justice
Private Bag X10
Candidates who wish to hand deliver their nominations could do so either at 188, 14th Road, Noordwyk, Midrand alternatively at the Constitutional Court.
Download the original announcement from the Office of the Chief Justice: Judicial Vacancies – Call for Nominations