The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) invites nominations to fill vacancies as Judges in the following Courts:
- Eastern Cape Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Judge President, 1 vacancy for Grahamstown and 1 vacancy for Mthatha)
- Electoral Court (1 vacancy)
- Candidates for this vacancy should be South African citizens who are in the legal profession.
- Free State Division of the High Court (2 vacancies)
- Gauteng Division of the High Court (6 vacancies)
- North West Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Deputy Judge President)
- Northern Cape Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Deputy Judge President)
- Western Cape Division of the High Court (4 vacancies)
Nominations must be accompanied by the candidates written consent, detailed curriculum vitae disclosing the candidate’s formal qualifications for appointment, the standard questionnaire completed and signed by the candidate, as well as at least three written judgments by the candidate. The standard questionnaire to be completed by all nominees is available on the South African judiciary website.
The JSC reserves the right to recommend a candidate for the filling of any vacancy which may exist at the time of the interviews. This is to avoid the situation which has arisen in the past when, despite the availability of suitable candidates, no appointments could be made to fill vacancies which had occurred subsequent to the notice calling for nominations. Consequently, in making nominations, regard should be had to the possibility that more judicial vacancies may occur than have been advertised.
The Secretariat wishes to emphasize the following points:
- Interviews with short-listed candidates will be conducted in public, i.e. members of the public and the media (both electronic and print) will be entitled to be present.
- It is open to persons or bodies nominating candidates to motivate their nominations by referring the JSC to the candidate’s qualifications and general fitness for appointment.
- The questionnaire must be accompanied by the standardized ‘clearance certificate’ which the candidate is required to obtain from his/her professional body regarding the candidate’s professional status within that body, his or her suitability for appointment to the Bench and the nature of any disciplinary proceedings completed or pending in respect of the relevant candidate.
- Nominations must be addressed to and reach the Secretariat of the JSC by no later than Friday, 30 June 2017.
Interviews will take place during the week of 02 – 06 October 2017 in the Office of the Chief Justice in Midrand. The exact venue for the interviews will be communicated to shortlisted candidates and members of the public in due course.
Applications must be addressed to:
The Secretariat of the JSC
Office of the Chief Justice
Private Bag X10
Tel: (010) 493 2687 alternatively (010) 493 2633
Candidates who wish to hand deliver their nominations could do so either at 188, 14th Road, Noordwyk, Midrand alternatively at the Constitutional Court.