The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) invites nominations to fill vacancies as Judges in the following Courts:
- Constitutional Court (1 vacancy)
- This is a re-advertisement of the vacant position that occurred following the discharge from active service of Justice Johan Van der Westhuizen.
- Eastern Cape Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Judge President* and 1 vacancy for Mthata)
- Electoral Court (1 vacancy)
- Candidates for this vacancy should be South African citizens who are in the legal profession.
- Labour Court (2 vacancies)
- Mpumalanga Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Judge President)
- North West Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Deputy Judge President and 1 vacancy)
- Northern Cape Division of the High Court (1 vacancy for Judge President and 1 vacancy for Deputy Judge President)
*Please note: the JSC has also included a vacancy of Judge President in the Eastern Cape Division of the High Court which will occur in August 2017.
Nominations must be accompanied by the candidates written consent, detailed curriculum vitae disclosing the candidate’s formal qualifications for appointment, the standard questionnaire completed and signed by the candidate, as well as at least three written judgments by the candidate.
The JSC reserves the right to recommend a candidate for the filling of any vacancy which may exist at the time of the interviews. This is to avoid the situation which has previously arisen in the past when, despite the availability of suitable candidates, no appointments could be made to fill vacancies which had occurred subsequent to the notice calling for nominations. Consequently, in making nominations, regard should be had to the possibility that more judicial vacancies may occur than have been advertised.
The Secretariat wishes to emphasize the following points:
- Interviews with short-listed candidates will be conducted in public, i.e. members of the public an media (both electronic and print) will be entitled to be present.
- It is open to persons or bodies nominating candidates to motivate their nominations by referring the JSC to the candidate’s qualifications and general fitness for appointment.
- The questionnaire must be accompanied by the standardized ‘clearance certificate’ which the candidate is required to obtain from his/her professional body regarding the candidate’s professional status within that body, his or her suitability for appointment to the Bench and the nature of any disciplinary proceedings completed or pending in respect of the relevant candidate.
- Nominations must be addressed to and reach the Secretariat of the JSC by no later than Friday, 03 February 2017.
Interviews will take place during the week of 03 – 07 April 2017 at the Office of the Chief Justice in Noordwyk, Midrand.
Applications must be addressed to:
The Secretariat of the JSC
Office of the Chief Justice
Private Bag X10
Tel: (010) 493 2687 alternatively (010) 493 2575
Email: Chiloane@concourt.org.za alternatively TPhaahlamohlaka@judiciary.org.za
Candidates who wish to hand deliver their nominations could do so at 188, 14th Road, Noordwyk, Midrand alternatively at the Constitutional Court.